Coconut Chicken Soup Recipe ( Tom Kha Kai)
Updated: Dec 28, 2020
"Thai chicken soup with coconut and lemongrass. One bite of this Coconut Chicken Soup and you imagine yourself in Bangkok."
Ingredients for Coconut Chicken Soup:
For 6 persons:
- 2½ cup chicken stock
- 2 stalks lemongrass, ends trimmed, tough outer leaves removed, cut into 1- inch pieces
- 4 Kaffir lime leaves, crumpled by hand
- 1 can 14 ounce - 400gr coconut milk
- 2 inch - 5cm piece of galangal, peeled, half cut into slices, half cut into matchsticks
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, sliced
- 1½ cups mushroooms, ends removes, sliced
- 4 hot red chilis, smashed with a knife
- Handful fresh cilantro
- 1 tbsp fish sauce, plus more for serving
- 1 tbsp lime juice, plus more for serving
How to make Coconut Chicken Soup:
Combine stock, galangal, lemongrass, and lime leaf in a medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, and then reduce heat to maintain a simmer for 10 minutes. Discard the galangal and lemongrass.
Add the coconut milk and increase heat to medium. Add chicken, mushrooms, galangal matchsticks, and Kaffir lime leaves, and cook until the chicken is completely cooked and the mushrooms are tender, about 5 minutes.
Add the fish sauce, lime juice, and red chiles. Remove from heat. Divide the soup between four bowls, making sure each has a red chile. Garnish with cilantro. Adjust flavor with more lime juice and fish sauce as necessary.
Scoop out and garnish with chives or fresh cilantro.