Ingredients for meatballs in Tomato Sauce:
- 400 gr ( 28- to 32-oz)can chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 2 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic clove,chopped
- 2 tablespoons concentrated tomato puree
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
- ½ cup fine fresh bread crumbs
- ½ cup whole milk
- 1½ lb meatloaf/meatball mix (mixed ground beef, pork, and veal)
- 1 medium onion, coarsely grated
- 5 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- pinch (or two) of dried cayenne pepper
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes
Place about one inch of oil in a frying pan.
Add 1 onion with the diced carrot.
Saute over a medium heat till the onion are golden and translucent.
Add tomatoes with their juice, the garlic, oregano.
Stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 20 minutes.
While sauce is simmering, stir together bread crumbs and milk in a large bowl and let stand 5 minutes. Add meat, onion, 3 tablespoons parsley, red pepper flakes, and remaining teaspoon salt and blend with your hands until just combined well.
Form 2-tablespoon amounts into meatballs (about 20).
Heat oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over high heat until hot but not smoking, then sauté meatballs in 2 batches, turning occasionally, until well browned, about 5 minutes.
Transfer as browned with a slotted spoon to tomato sauce.
Simmer meatballs, covered, stirring occasionally, until cooked through, about 5 minutes.
Serve sprinkled with remaining 2 tablespoons parsley.
Serve with spaghetti or mashed potatoes
Tastyfood - Recipes
An Italian-American dish consisting of spaghetti, tomato sauce and meatballs.