Ingredients for Gratinéé de Coquille St Jacques:
- 6 big scallops, preferably fresh from shell
- 300 gr [10 ½ oz] small shrimps (already cooked and peeled)
- 300 gr [10 ½ oz] mushrooms
- 40 gr [1 ½ oz] plain flour
- 250ml [1 cup] water
- 125ml [½ cup] dry white wine
- 2 spoons + 1 drop olive oil
- 1 big shallot ; 1 bay leaf
- 6 spoons of dry breadcrumbs
- pepper, salt and nutmeg
- bread crumbs
- 2 egg white mixed with 2 spoons of water or milk
- 1 drop of lemon juice
- 1 cup of grated swiss or gruyère cheese
In a small saucepan, pour the water and wine; add the shallot, bayleaf, the drops of oil and lemon juice, and salt.
Add the scallops and bring to simmer, cover with a lid, and let cook for another 5 minutes.
Remove the scallops from the cooking liquid and strain them, but keep the cooking juice.
In a frying pan, cook the sliced mushroom in the 2 spoons of olive oil, for about 5 minutes (medium-high heat, stirring often).
Prepare your 4 individual scallop dishes: display 3 slices of scallop in the bottom of each, put 5 shrimps on them, equally divide the mushrooms on top of them.
In a medium saucepan melt the butter, medium flame, and pour the flour on it while stirring until well blended.
Then start pouring a bit of the cooking juice and gently stir until it is incorporated; keep doing this way until the white sauce is ready (it must get thicker, but not too much; reckon 10 minutes). The quantity of liquid you have might be slightly too much, don't hesitate to leave some away.
Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg; finally add the cream.
Pour the white sauce equally in each individual scallop dish.
Sprinkle equally the breadcrumbs on each dish and put some grated cheese on.
Put under oven grill until golden brown ( 10 minutes).
Tastyfood - Recipes
Gratinée de Coquille St Jacques Recipe